Review For Focusrite Red 3 Classic Dual-Channel Compressor/Limiter
- Hand-made in the UK and crafted to the highest standards, using machine-tooled, half-inch thick claret red anodised aluminium.
- Fully discrete and balanced classic VCA-based dynamics offer superb low noise and distortion, and excellent common-mode rejection.
- Stereo switch for true stereo operation from a single set of controls.
- An easily-read illuminated porthole window VU shows signal level or gain change (switched).
- Key inputs available independently on each channel via firm-response illuminated push-button switches.
The Red 3 employs an unusual and original single-VCA design to achieve high quality and truly independent compression and limiting, without the compromise and unnecessary processing involved in traditional designs. The success of the design is attested to by the Red 3’s TEC award for Outstanding Technical Achievement in the Signal Processing Technology category. The VCA used is a proprietary Focusrite design, fully discrete and balanced, offering superb low noise and distortion, and excellent common-mode rejection. In order to separate compression and limiting, the side-chain electronics contain three VCAs in series to generate compression and limiting control voltages which drive the main VCA. The result is true compression followed by l